Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Work-in-Progress Wednesday 87

Hi everyone! I hope you're having a great week. I'm been busy as usual, not only with my normal work, but if you haven't visited the blog this week, I've started a new blog series! This week I'm posting each day for the Life as an Indie Dyer to share with you what a week lately looks like for me. After this week, I'll probably have one post each week in the series, give or take. I hope you enjoy the posts, as I've enjoyed writing them so far. I will be posting Wednesday's post later in the day.

I haven't had a lot of knitting time lately (as you can imagine), but since I hurt my back this weekend, I couldn't work! A blessing in disguise, maybe, but back pain is no fun, let me tell you! Anyway, because I hurt myself, I got to work on my Time Traveler sock that I have named All I Need is a TARDIS on my project page. Awesome, right (if you're a Doctor Who fan)?




As you can see in this not great iPhone picture, I'm doing an afterthought heel. This is my first time doing an afterthought heel but I thought it made sense since I am using self striping yarn. This is Knit Picks Felici in the colorway Time Traveler (hence the Doctor Who name). This is my first time completing something with the yarn, and at first I wasn't sure I liked it, but now I really do enjoy it. It has good stitch definition, is soft but feels pretty sturdy. I'm not following a pattern, but I did use this video to figure out how to do an afterthought heel. I just pulled out the waste yarn (or almost, I missed a stitch when picking them up so the waste yarn in the picture is holding that one stitch until I can catch it on my way around) and will start knitting the sock. It's hard to tell if they were going to fit before I pulled the yarn out, but now I think they'll be perfect!

That's it for me today as far as WIPW. Remember, I'll be back with my Wednesday Life as an Indie Dyer post later!

For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!


37 comments:

  1. Awesome!
    That colorway caught my eye right away when I got my last knitpicks catalog. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours and being a doctor who fan I'm lovin the name. I love your new blog series too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the new blog series as well!

      Delete
  3. OMG I need some of that yarn.

    I've also been getting the urget to knit up a doctor who scarf!

    awesome socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should order soon. They've had it for awhile and once it's sold out they don't bring it back.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about your back injury, hope you are back to normal soon. My family are professed Dr.Who fans, who drag me along! So, I guess at some point it wasn't such a bother to watch but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.

    I love your socks!
    My girls would love something "tardisy" since I am running out of WIPs I might look into something along the Doctors line :-D

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colourful Sock! I hope your back gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried an afterthought heel yet - love your stripes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just watch the video I linked to. It's insanely easy! You just knit a waste yarn into the tube where you want the heel and keep going. Once you close the toe, you pick up the stitches that are on the waste yarn and knit another toe for the heel!

      Delete
  7. That yarn looks great, the colours are fantastic! Hope your back fixes itself up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is my next project is learn how to make socks. I guess I need to learn more about knitting first too lol. I love how your sock is coming along. Very pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Socks are much harder than they look, trust me! I was so scared of them at first.

      Delete
  9. LOVE your socks!

    I have some rainbow Felici for socks, but I've never made socks. The heel has me scared, but seeing this pic and video, I may be able to do the afterthought heel. I must try. I'm dying for my rainbow striped socks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heel flap/turn/gusset seems scary on a normal sock but it really isn't! I was scared at first too, but now I could do it in my sleep. Knit Picks has great videos on Youtube that show you how to make socks step by step. It's how I learned!

      The afterthought heel is also very easy. It's like knitting two toes instead of a heel and toe!

      Delete
  10. I have at least four skeins of that yarn (in that colorway) sitting in my stash.......admittedly for socks. I need to learn an afterthought heel first, though. I don't fancy learning in the middle of a project. Perhaps I'll make some baby socks with some other leftover yarn and see what I can do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just check out the video I linked. It's nothing really new really. You just knit a tube, knit a piece of waste yarn where you want the heel to go and keep going down until you close the toe. Pull out the waste yarn, pick up the stitches and knit another toe for the heel!

      Delete
  11. LOVEEEE the Time Traveler socks. I still need to order that colorway.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better order soon! Remember, once it's gone, it's gone.

      Delete
  12. This looks like a nice way to knit socks. But when it comes to knitting socks I'm very traditional, which means I knit them as I was taught in school a looooooooong time ago. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, definitely not the traditional way. I think this method is perfect for striped socks so the stripes don't get out of sync and movie theater knitting, or something like that since it's just knitting a tube.

      Delete
  13. Fab socks. We're off to see the Hunger Games tonight after reading your recommendation. I'm very excited, it's ages since I've been to the cinema!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, I hope you enjoy it!!!! Let me know what you thought. Have you read the book(s)???

      Delete
  14. I'm loving the sock! I'm so behind on my blog reading that I haven't seen your series yet, though I was waiting for it! (She says while looking with horror at 350 unread posts in Google Reader.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why Google Reader scares me! LOL Thank you.

      Delete
  15. LOVE the colors of your socks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. HA, thank you Kathleen! The stripes are working out great due to the afterthought heel! It's like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to read your back is hurting. I hope you recover quickly. Doing an after thought heel to accommodate the stripe of your sock is SUCH A GOOD IDEA.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The socks look fantastic! The stripes are awesome :) I hope your back is alright now, and I'm really enjoying your "day in the life" posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! So glad you're liking the day in the life posts!

      Delete
  19. Oooh, I'm excited to see your afterthought heels! I have self striping yarn too, and I'm debating between going to regular stripes like this (in which case I'd use an afterthought heel, too), or one of the "fancy" ones like Jaywalking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, I have just discovered your linky party. Thanks for providing this platform for us to show off and to ooh and ahh over others who are showing off!!

    Cheers,
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh, great looking sock! I do love that yarn. Hope your back is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete