Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Work-in-Progress Wednesday 51



Happy Wednesday everyone!!! It's hump day, so don't get too excited, as we still have a few days until the weekend. Speaking of weekends, how did Comic Con go you ask? Splendid (see below, especially if you're a Doctor Who fan)!


That's right, me with the Tardis. WITH THE TARDIS!!! It even lit up and made the Tardis sound. If you don't think that's cool, check out my next picture.


Who is that, you ask? Well, I'll give you a few guess, but it shouldn't take long. That's right...MATT SMITH AND KAREN GILLAN (though she got totally cut off by the stupid guy standing in front of her, BUT you can see her profile kind of.)

Not the best photos in the world, but the ones I got closer were blurry as people were knocking into me. It was mad. If you'd like to watch the interview they were giving while I took this pic, you can watch it here. I wanted to go to the Doctor Who panel on Sunday, but people were already lining up at 12pm Saturday afternoon for the 12:30pm Sunday afternoon start time. Insanity. Matt and Karen were actually handing out Tardis burritos to those in line around midnight. So so awesome.

Okay, this IS a WIPW post, so I better get to it.



Why doesn't the skirt look any bigger you ask? Is it ACTUALLY smaller than last week, you ask? Why yes, yes it is, or maybe around the same. That's because I took it to my sister's house last week while watching my nieces. Garter stitch with short rows, how hard could it get? Well, apparently when a 2 year old gets tangled in the yarn while getting down from the couch when my head is turned, promptly pulling off several stitches from the needles...very hard. I realized at the time of panic, that I don't know how to fix dropped garter stitches. I didn't realize I did it wrong until I had already knit several rows more. I took it to a friend the next day who's in my knitting group (and works at one of my LYS) to see if she could drop down and fix it, but alas, I had screwed it up too much. Not only did I fix it wrong, I twisted stitches when trying to put them back on, as well as knitted too many rows. Once she dropped down to fix my mistakes, she couldn't successfully pick them back up without it looking like...well, crap. So, I sat as I watched her frog to the point of the problem (which was okay since she was doing it. I didn't have the strength to frog that much). I also had a little other mistake that was fixed with the frogging, so no biggie. I hope to get jamming on this again, but I've had to finish my swap monster.


That's all I'm currently/actively on. Can you believe it? August 1st I'll have to start my shawl for the Candy Skein KAL/CAL, so I'm kind of holding off starting something new. That doesn't mean I'm itching to get something new on the needles! Then again, I have a few WIPs that I've put down and haven't picked up recently. Maybe I should finish those before even thinking of starting something else (other than the KAL shawl).

Friday I'll have the monster to share, if my swap partner gets it in time. If not, I'll have to share it next week. :(

Don't forget, next Wednesday is week 52, a WHOLE YEAR OF WIPW! Look for something special to turn up.

Please remember to use the new link to your post from this week, overriding the one that Mr. Linky saves from the previous. I've had quite a few links still linking to their old posts, or links that go straight to their blog's URL instead of the actual posts URL. Thanks!

For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!

43 comments:

  1. Oh no! Sorry about your lack of progress! But it looks like you had a lot of fun over the weekend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, I have lots of projects that get smaller through the week. I often go to knit night and leave with less done than when I got there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that Tardis is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear your skirt had a problem that couldn't be fixed, but sometimes frogging is the only solution that won't look wrong. Very jealous that you went to CC, I would love to go one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about the skirt. I hope things go better from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's never fun to rip... I've been ripping a shawl and is still looking for inspiration to cast on again...

    I got my skein of yarn the other day for the Candy Skein kal - love the colours! Now I just need to find the right pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So jealous! Comic Con looks fantastic, I've never been to anything like that! You might appreciate this I made http://www.flickr.com/photos/59065692@N06/5919115990/in/photostream

    ReplyDelete
  8. They had the Tardis ?? Way cool :-) Did you see Sheldon ? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, boo for over-enthusiastic 2-year-old helpers ;).

    Comic Con looks like it was fun! I get a kick out of the old abandoned police boxes where I live - none of them are QUITE Tardis-style, but I can dream, right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Argh...sorry bout the frogging, but I understand, sometimes it has to be done. I was almost finished with a blog on the wedding ghan I've been working on when everything went south. I either forgot to click a row on the counter, or clicked it twice thinking I hadn't clicked....kept knitting when all of sudden I realized I was on the wrong side..............couldn't figure out which row the problem was on, since every row of the pattern is different, so frogged the whole thing and am now back to where I was before I sat down to knit last night......

    Why is linking to a blog a problem vs linking to a specific post?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate it when my WIPs get smaller.

    SO JEALOUS I don't have a pic with me and the TARDIS yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have two WIP's but forgot to get pictures taken last night! It's understandable when you know that my car died last night and had to be towed, thankfully I was just 15 mins from home so dh cam to get me. Sigh...I'll try to take pics and get them posted tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, OMG, OMG!!!! I am soooo jealous - you are so lucky to have been there!! Thanks for posting the interview - I yelled for my son to come and watch too since he's a HUGE "Who" fan!! Okay, now that I'm calmer... so sorry about the whoops with the skirt - at least you got it back together though!! It's looking good and I look forward to seeing more progress on it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ComicCon looks like fun! It's nice of your friend to rip back for you; I always have trouble with getting the stitches back on correctly! Two year olds are waaaaaay too distracting for a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AWesome pictures! I think I'd be blurry in front of the Tardis because I'd be jumping up and dowl, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay for Comic Con! Looks like you had a great weekend, even with the cuckoo crowds. Sorry to hear about the skirt frogging, but if it's any consolation it always goes faster the 2nd time around. Trust me, I speak from lots of froggy experience.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Tardis! Excellent! And yeah those lines can be INSANE!!! I've never been to Comic Con (it is a dream) but have been to a few other conventions...

    Sorry about your skirt...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry about your skirt. Frogging things is hard. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. sadly i have no wipw this week. well i probably have something but it just needs to be blocked so i will save it for fof. :) have a great rest of the week & see you on friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My projects go backwards and forwards so often that my friends wonder how I ever get any done ; )
    The skirt is still looking lovely and I sure it will be worth all the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh frogging is never fun! I'd be in panic mode to I'm self taught and when it comes to knitting I still have no Idea how to fix booboos other than to start all over :( lol what yarn are you working with? it looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Knitting with 2 year olds is always a challenge:( Hopefully you'll make lots of progress this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey, we knit because we love it! ANd you know you would never be satisfied with it not being right. With all that time in it, you want it to be fabulous and it will be. I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Paula, thanks! I had a blast on the weekend.

    Suddenexpression, isn't it funny how much we DON'T get done on knit night!? I finished the monster leg there this week and was utterly shocked to actually get something accomplished.

    Genki, I know, isn't it!? I was sooo excited!

    pinkundine, thanks! You're right, sometimes the right thing to do it frog. I'm glad I did.

    Lynda, thanks!

    Hege, WOW, you got that order fast! It's great to hear it's not taking forever for my overseas customers. I can't wait to see what you choose for the KAL/CAL!

    Bellabeeandme, thanks! It was a blast, but I can't stay very often or I start going insane. LOL Thanks for the link! That Tardis pillow is AMAZING!

    Vivianne, they did! I was SOOOOO excited. Ha, no Sheldon in sight. LOL

    Leah, I totally get what you mean. We don't have phone booth like that here, but on the Queen Mary ship (now a hotel) they have the red ones and I had to stop and take a picture even though it wasn't anything like the tardis. LOL I couldn't resist.

    Sandy, very true that at times, we all have to frog projects. At least it wasn't all the way. As far as the links, I prefer people link to a specific post, so that if people go back later to a WIPW link, it takes them to that week's post and not the most recent. It is impossible to find if it was awhile ago and it goes to your general blog.

    Calophi, seriously awesome, isn't it!? I was in line for a book when my husband found it. He came back saying "YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT'S HERE!"

    FoFo, so sorry to hear about the car! Hopefully you're able to get it back quickly (and it doesn't cost you a ton of money!)

    witchyknits4ewe, glad I shared the link then! They did a TON of interviews at Comic Con. If you're interested, you can probably just search comic con doctor who to find them. This is just the one I saw in person.

    Minding My Own Stitches, exactly why I had her do it. It was less painful, and I can NEVER get them on right. I always end up dropping more! LOL

    Delusional Knitter, seriously, I was so geeking out. This was the 3rd picture we attempted because I couldn't stop looking like a total nerd grinning ear to ear.

    Paula, thanks! We had a blast. You're right, I'm almost back to where I was when the frogging took place. There's nothing like a little knitting therapy, even when re-doing some of it.

    Gracey, you should try to go one day. It's definitely worth it!

    Yarn Berry, thanks! I was happy I didn't have to go all the way back to the cast on.

    stephanni, aww, sad you don't have one either! The good news is, a FO is MUCH better than a WIP!

    Nikki, HA! I think I've come to the point in my knitting that I can't live with mistakes. I used to be able to, and never frogged, but I've gotten over the fear.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Affordable Wonders, I'm the same way. Frogging is scary since I'm self taught. I'm not great at fixing anything, but I'm getting better. It's Knit Picks Stroll Tonal in Thunderhead.

    Karen, thanks! Knitting with ANY kids is tough I've found. LOL Luckily I don't have any!

    Yarn Changer, exactly! I used to live with the mistakes. Not anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh so not showing your post to Hubby, he would be so jealous! The actual sound and everything!

    Sorry to hear about your skirt, unfortunately it sounds like it was the only remedy for it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow I'd love to see the Tardis - very cool pics. Sorry about your skirt. There is nothing more painful than watching your stitches fly off the needle like that xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. So sorry about the frogging! :-( But at least it gave you a chance to fix the mistakes.
    Being a huge Dr Who fan, I am digging the picture with the Tardis! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry to hear about your frogging! But I am super duper jealous about the doctor who stuff! My husband and I are huge HUGE fans! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Comic-Con is a total beast. I posted some pictures from our visit on my blog on Monday. We haven't gotten to see any panels since our first trip there in 07, where we stumbled into a panel with my all-time favorite voice actor *completely* by accident.

    Since then -- and especially with our son in tow -- we've mostly crawled the convention floor, picked up a few goodies here and there and enjoyed the costume show. :D We just don't have the ability to sit down and wait several days for a panel. (Maybe this will eventually change but I don't see it doing so in the near future.)

    I'm glad to see you had fun! :D

    Also, I'm sorry to hear what happened to the skirt! It would've broken my heart if I'd had to frog that much of my own work, so I don't blame you for handing it off to someone else. I hope it picks up again for you and you can make up for lost time, so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Soooo jealous of your SDCC attendance!!

    Well, at least even though the skirt is smaller, your knowledge is bigger, right?? =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Boo to the skirt but I'm very jealous of the Comic Con attendance!! My my how very exciting! And the TARDIS! Yipee!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is so cool that you got to go to Comic Con. Great pic of you in front of the Tardis, too. Sorry about the skirt mishap. Fixing garter stitches and short rows is totally not fun. Hope you can get back on track soon.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome that you got to go to ComicCon. I was stuck at home watching it on G4!

    ReplyDelete
  35. How awesome you got to go to Comic Con and see a Tardis.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm sorry your project had to get smaller! This week I ran out of the yarn I needed. Big bummer!

    Have a great Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the yarn that you're using for that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh that sucks about the skirt. I ended up having to frog a few rows on my scarf too, and when I picked them back up, they were twisted just like what you are describing. I had wondered if there was a proper way to pick them back up. I'll have to look that up!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Sad news on the frogging but sometimes we learn from the mistakes. Hard lessons some times but good ones. It is actually great that you had someone else to do it for you; you've given me a great idea for how to handle my little knitting tantrums when I don't want to frog something I've put my heart and hours into.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks like fun!! Sorry about the ripping, we all must pay our dues to the knitting karma! Hope it continues on with no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  41. After seeing your photo of the TARDIS (squee!) I couldn't help but stop lurking and finally join in the WIPW fun -- since the WIP I worked on last night was the Tom Baker replica Who Scarf. :D

    I hope this week brings better luck with your skirt; the yearn looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  42. expetesso.com, thanks so much for joining us! Your Who scarf is VERY impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I don't think I've frogged much of my knitting, it's too stressful! That is a bummer but glad you got some help and moral support! :)

    ReplyDelete