Friday, October 8, 2010

FO Friday 4

Welcome to another FO Friday! I thought this week I would be sharing my hat I started in this week's WIPW, but alas, I had to frog half of it due to its size. That led to the yarn breaking in one spot. :( Fortunately, I figured out where I stopped increasing and didn't have to frog the whole thing. I'm back at it again, and just plan to join the yarn at the break.

Of course, this left me with no FO Friday, or so I thought. I decided to take the bull by the horns and finish the gray purse I shared in WIPW 4. Since I shared it with you then, I crocheted a strap and machine sewed (with my new sewing machine) a lining. The only thing I had left to do was sew the lining into the purse. Now, that may not seem too hard, but I had no clue how I would do it. When I got my machine and had such success with making the lining, I thought I would just put it under my machine and BAM, have a lining.

Of course, that didn't work. Is anything that easy?

I tried several times, several different ways, but my machine kept bunching the thread along the crocheted side. I don't know if it's because it was a mix of crochet and in this case, polyester or just because sewing machines don't like yarn. Or maybe it was the way this purse is crocheted, not allowing the machine to catch the yarn at times. (Does anyone know the answer to this?)

So, in the end, I realized I would have to hand sew it into the purse. That seemed like such a huge chore, so I put it off...until yesterday. In the end, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Of course, I could have probably done a little bit better of a job doing it, but for the first time, I'm happy. This was my "test" purse, as I have three more to make for Christmas. It doesn't need to be perfect.

We'll see what you think...

Materials used:

5.00 mm (H) hook
6.00 mm (J) hook
6.50 mm (K) hook
Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn (purse and strap- Light Gray)
Black Polyester fabric (lining)
Sewing Machine
Black thread
Yarn needle
Ribbon (for decoration)

I worked on the purse from August 28-October 7 (The actual body of the purse took a night and a few hours the next day. I did the strap about a month ago. Making the lining was finished a few weeks ago when I got my sewing machine, and sewed the lining in yesterday).

Please excuse the cat tail and the dog head in the pictures! They're very nosy. Also, I had to use flash again, due to another gloomy day in San Diego.




Share your FO projects!


18 comments:

  1. I never try and sew my lining into the bag using the machine, because of the whole bunching thing, it mangles it up because of the textured surface. If you were really determined to do it though I would recommend putting a piece of paper on the top of the crochet surface and then when you have finished the stitches will have perforated the paper and you could rip it off. I must state I have NEVER tried this, but it something that MAY work. If you try it, let me know. By the way, I've added a link to FO Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! To be honest, the hand sewing wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute purse! I'm on the sidelines this week, as I have no O's that are F'd to share. Well, I have one O that's pretty well F'd, but not in a good way. :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paula, you made me actually laugh out loud this morning! :) I must say, I have a few of those projects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love those kittehs and goggies who just have to get into the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am with crafty...using paper (or tissue paper) provides some stability. I have done that before with wonderful success. Great purse btw! Do you happen to need a "test user"??? hmmmmmmm????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pentalia, seriously, they can't resist! LOL

    Dina, thanks! Actually, it's not my pattern! If you click the link I have on "gray purse" in the post, it will take you to the Ravelry page!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tami! LOVE your purse! Gray is the color for Fall, I hear, so I guess you're set!!.. As for the lining, I don't know of any other way myself. I've always sewn the lining by sewing machine, but then hand sewed it to the purse! I think it is probably the least fun or appealing step in a project such as this, but you're right.. It's not so bad once you're actually doing it!.. Have a great weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's cute. I've made several and always hand sew the lining...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tina, thank you! Wow, I didn't know gray was a new Fall color. I'm never in on the trend. LOL

    Thanks, Gracey. Have you made this purse before?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely purse! Looks like you did a fab job with the lining.

    I did an FO Friday post but forgot to link it! Better luck next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! I'm surprised it actually turned out as well as it did. I'm not excited about doing the lining on my next purse, instead of dreading it.

    Hope to see your FO this Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A little question from an amateur knitter - what does "frogging" mean? I've seen this on several of your posts and imagine a small green animal hopping over your socks...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy, and welcome! "Frogging" means to rip out the projects instead of continuing on and either starting over, or using the yarn for something else. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! Tami that purse is soooo cute. I wish I knew how to crochet, it's really cool. The purse has a swanky 1940's flare, which I love.

    Sadly, I'm all thumbs when it comes to crocheting and think I'll just stick to writing and drooling over your crafts.:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Kitty! I'm making a few others for Christmas with cuter lining. I'll share those when they're done as well!

    ReplyDelete