Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Work-in-Progress Wednesday 12

I've decided I needed to start on my Christmas gifts instead of just saying I'm going to. Good plan, right? It seemed like I had so much time, until I realized we are in the last week of October and November will be a crazy writing month for me. I need to crank out about one present a week (if not more) to get done in time. Crazy, isn't it? I decided to just focus on this one crochet project this week, as I'm trying to finish it quickly, so I'm only sharing this one today.

That being said, my WIPW post this week is a bag for my niece. You may remember, I made this reindeer for her birthday this year. At first she didn't really know what to think of it, but now every time I see her she's asks what I'm making and has a huge list of items for me to crank out for her. She doesn't know I'm making this, and hopefully she'll like it. She requested a dog amigurumi, but I told her it would have to wait until after Christmas. Hopefully she isn't expecting that! I am already doing two dog amis for my mother-in-law (representing the two dogs that passed away this year that she had for 13+ years).


I first saw this owl bag pattern (Ravelry link) in the September/October issue of Crochet Today! I loved it right away and showed my sister, who thought Lily, my niece, would like it as well. When finished, I hope to line it with this adorable pink fabric I got in the remnants section of Joann's. I'd love to sew in a few pockets as well, but it will only be my second bag lined, so I don't want to get ahead of myself. Originally I wanted to use the pink camo yarn with pink solid, instead of tan but couldn't find a pink I was quite happy with that would look good with the camo. Over all, I like how it's coming out, though after crocheting the bottom and the initial color change, I decided to increase the strips by one, so it's three before a color change instead of two. It didn't seem to be reading as well as I hoped with two, and I think it's much better now. What do you think?

Don't forget, tomorrow I'll be flashing my stash again (that always sounds so dirty, doesn't it?). Please join me if you have the time! There will be an ongoing Mr Linky provided, where you can update your stash each month when I share mine. :) This time, I'll be showing off my yarn inside my new wood chest!

For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!


20 comments:

  1. I can hardly wait to see the new wood chest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pink camo yarn. I like it against the tan because it makes the pink stand out more, and I don't think you could have achieved that using it against pink. Beautiful work as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it with the three strips before the camo yarn - good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving the colors for your owl bag!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz, thanks! It's so amazing with the yarn in it. :)

    Faith, I agree and thank you! I wasn't sure about the camo and tan, but looking at it in picture form, I realize it is working out. I hope my 6 1/2 year old niece agrees!

    SweetPotato, thanks. It's much more readable now!

    Joycers, thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure your niece will love the bag! (That's slightly terrifying that you've got to produce a present a week - I'm sure you're up to it, but I'm sending you good vibes anyway ;-) ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colors are looking great on the bag... alternating the solid color with the variegated has a great effect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there - the bag looks great so far. I just added my link, it's my first time playing along! I'm planning on flashing some stash tomorrow, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie, thanks! Isn't it terrifying!? I hope I can do it. The great thing is, no one knows I plan to make most of my gifts this year, so if I can't do it, I'll have to make a trip to the mall. LOL

    Pentalia, thank you!

    Anastacia, welcome! Thank you so much for joining! We love to have new people join in. I can't wait to see your stash tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors. It reminds of Neapolitan ice cream only with more chocolate and strawberry. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise, you're totally right! It is like Neapolitan ice cream! Totally yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been doing these posts for a while and just now found where to link up with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome CloseAcademy! I'm so glad you found us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The bag is very cute. I think you're getting the colors and the stripes just right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute Owl bag! I can't wait to see how it turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Marushka. I hope to finish the main part of the bag tonight and start the lining and owl pieces tomorrow!

    Paula, thank you! I can't wait either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really cute colors for the bag! She's bound to love this bag!

    ReplyDelete
  18. craftynycgirl, I'll have to give a full report once Christmas arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is the cutest bag I've seen in a while! Your niece will love it I'm sure. Camo is always trendy with the kids too!

    ReplyDelete