Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Work-in-Progress Wednesday 85

Hi everyone! I hope you had a great weekend and are having an even greater week. We went to the movies and had a great time. We saw The Artist which was amazing. My husband and I love old movies and silent movies, so to see a movie like The Artist doing well in the theater and winning awards is awesome. I wanted to watch it again instantly. Sooo good. I also bought The Muppets movie this week, which I can't wait to see again, speaking of great movies. It's a hockey night tonight (Tuesday), but I'm sure we'll watch it the first chance we can get. We adored it in the theater.

Now onto knitting related items.


I was bad and cast on something new. I have so many WIPs that I can't keep them straight, which only makes me want to cast on more. Does that make sense? Do you get that, too? Actually, I blame the skein of yarn. I've had this yarn in my stash since December of '10, buying it on my trip up the California coast. It's Tosh Vintage in Baltic which is a worsted weight yarn. This is my first time using this yarn, and I LOVE it! It's gorgeous in color and texture. Just a pleasure to knit with and holds stitches nicely. Anyway, so the yarn was calling to me on Monday, and what could I do? I couldn't deny it when it's been sitting in my stash for so long. I only have one skein, so I had to sift through projects until the right one jumped out at me.

I decided since this yarn was special to me, as it was one of the memento yarns I brought home from my trip, that I wanted it to be something that I would use often. I also wanted a little bit of a challenge, since my knitting hasn't been calling to me recently. In fact, besides the little bunny I made last Thursday, I hadn't knit since my crochet/knit group last Tuesday! Almost a week had gone by without picking anything up.

That's when I found Treads, a tipless glove pattern and knew my search was over. The pattern looked hard, yet something that wouldn't kill me or frustrate me. So far, it's been a great pattern. I've learned two new things so far! I learned the Lateral Braid, which is magic, and the Linen Ridge Stitch, which is really easy but looks awesome. I'm building the thumb gusset (first time I've done this as well, as my last gloves just had a hole for the thumb) right now and working my way up (or down depending how you look at it) to the fingers. I think if I take the pattern step by step, I shouldn't have too much trouble with them. I can't wait! These will be great, not only on cold days, but also in the mornings when I'm knitting or evenings walking the dog. I could see myself using them a ton! We'll see if I can get at least one finished for FO Friday. :)

That's it for me! Also a quick note. I have a few more sets of the Green Collection mini set if anyone is interested!


For those that are new to WIPW, to share your WIPW post with us, just fill out the Mr. Linky below. Despite it saying you must comment, don't feel as if you do. That is something Mr. Linky automatically adds. I just ask you to check out a few of the links posted to see what everyone else is working on and comment there if you can. Everyone loves feedback and a little encouragement on their projects! Also, please link back to this post in your post to get the word out! The more the merrier!



24 comments:

  1. Oh I loved The Artist!
    And I cast on something (Cough 2 things Cough) new this week, too. I totally get the too many things= cast on more. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love coming past your site. You always have the most amazing wool on your needles. Some time during this year I will definitely treat myself to some of your gorgeous skeins!

    Love your WIP, I too have this in my library, I love these fingerless gloves, they look so cool!

    When I started knitting I was very conscientious and also thought that I would probably get bored and just stop knitting, so I did one WIP at a time. Now, that was some time ago! :-D I too get very itchy hands and almost panic when I get down to only one WIP in the basket. LOL It is even worse when I think my stash is getting too thin...

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Treads pattern, I made a pair recently and they are gorgeous :) The thumb and fingers are fiddly but easier than I expected (the pattern was my first time for those 2 things too!)

    I love the colour you're using (it's actually quite similar to the colour I made mine in!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Muppets is great! I already saw it, I loved it. I still want to see the Artist but my boyfriend doesn't really like that type of movies. The yarn looks so beautiful, can't wait to see the end result. Oh, I know the feeling of starting something new and the basket of WIP's getting more and more full. Ah well, keeps you busy ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I love that yarn, and the pattern you picked is a perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i totally get what you mean:) just read my post! :) i have been going crazy lately starting new items:) i love the color you are using for the treads (and the yummy yarn). i have that pattern in my queue as well...hum, you may have enabled me to cast on yet another item!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the pattern and the colour. You always have such gorgeous colour yarns! OMG you are inspiring me far too much, please stop...my craft cupboard and OH can't take the yarnplosion!!!

    (And when I say please stop, I obviously mean please don't ever, ever stop. Ever.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand the yarn calling out to you, and I understand yarn that's been in your stash for along time. It's all a process. Lovely shade of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved The Artist, such a beautiful film!

    I love Treads too, it's been in my favourites list for a while. Yours looks great, that blue is stunning. You're making me want to cast for a pair right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Treads is an awesome pattern - can't wait to see yours. Thumb gussets aren't hard; you'll be fine. And they really do give the best fit for a glove! Love the yarn; I can absolutely see why you couldn't wait any longer to cast on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to see The Artist, it sounds fabulous. I love the colour of that yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tipless glove pattern caught my eye a few weeks ago as well, but I'm not brave enough to try them yet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My knitting hasn't been calling out to me lately either...it wants to be knit but I'm just not feeling it :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. The glove pattern and yarn are so pretty together. A perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it was a hockey night for me too last night! Let's Go Pens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, you're a Pens fan!? My first team is the Kings, but I've tried to watch every Pens game since Fleury was a rookie. They're my second favorite team! Obviously, Flower being my favorite guy on the team. Amazing game last night. It was like they were on the PP the whole freakin' game.

      Delete
    2. Yep! Love those guys, I am from the area so their my team. Love hockey in general and the Kings are pretty good here. Yeah really it was a sprint of a game last night but so happy for Neal's hat trick.

      Delete
  16. I really want to see The Artist, it looks very good! I also loved the Muppets, and can't wait to watch it again!
    I love that pattern you started working on, it's so pretty. The color works really well with the pattern. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your pattern sounds really fun, and I totally hear you about yarn sometimes calling out to you. I'm glad you shared your review of The Artist, since I wanted to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved The Artist, too! I still have to wait until The Muppets are out on DVD here. A friend of mine saw the german version and it was just too childish and not in the least subversive like the Muppets are supposed to be... Needless to say it has been a new translation studio...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, Tosh Vintage <3 I've knit with that, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been wanting to see The Artist, but I'll probably just wait to see it when it's released on DVD... I'm terrible about seeing movies in the theater. I don't usually get the urge to cast on immediately following the cast on of a new project, but typically, when I finish one, I start two... it's a bad system.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We bought the Muppets this week too. "Muppet" is my 20 month old's new favourite word : )
    I had that exact yarn in the same colour and used it to make fingerless mitts for Christmas. It was such a lovely yarn to knit with. I love the fingerless glove pattern. They are going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the yarn you're using. The colour is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete