Friday, June 17, 2011

FO Friday 39



Happy Friday everyone! I must say, I'm very excited that it's Friday because the weekend is rolling around. Funny enough, since I started Candy Skein, I pretty much work 7 days a week on it, so it's not like I get it off. The nice part is I get to spend time with my husband, so that makes the weekends special. This weekend we don't have too much planned. We were going to go to the San Diego Fair (which is epic each year), but we're still tired from last weekend's craziness so will probably skip it and wait until the next weekend. We're still waiting for summer like weather here in San Diego, so the beach might be out as well. We'll see. Maybe a movie? Has anyone seen Super 8 yet?

Okay, enough about weekend plans. Unfotunately, I've stretched myself too thin recently on the knitting WIPs, so I have nothing to share today that is of the actual knitted related BUT, I wanted to share this. Is sharing a skein of newly dyed yarn cheating as a FO?



Now, as you probably know if you follow this blog each week, I normally only post Candy Skein yarn on Tuesdays. Why is this one different? Well, it was an experiment with long color changes, as well as going from light to dark of the same color. I'm really happy with the results and am keeping this skein myself. What do you think? Is it a nay or yay? I'm thinking I could start a series of colorways like this if it knits up nicely. Each color change is the same length (roughly, as I split the skein by weighing the yarn with each change), and each color is in the other two, as you can see some darker spots in the lights and lighter spots in the dark. I had a great time dyeing this!

It's a DK weight, and I named it Ripening Blueberry. I think I'm going to try and make The Age of Brass and Steam kerchief. Don't you think it will work nicely with the yarn!? It will be my first shawl like project and the lovely ladies at my Monday night knitting group are going to help me out in getting started. I can't wait!

Well, that's it for me! Be sure to share you FOs!



30 comments:

  1. Love the colour, so the changes look great! Just found your link parties, I think I'm going to have fun linking up and exploring :)

    Sarah @ Kiwi Gets Crafty
    http://kiwigetscrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Tami I LOVE that yarn and can't wait to see it knitting up... will be really interesting to see how the colour translates into the patern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really looking forward to seeing how the new yarn knits up. I think you've chosen a great pattern to show it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful! You should knit up a small sample just so people can see the color change but by the looks of that ball...you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yarn is a definite YAY!!! It will look fab with that pattern. Would love to see pics of the dyeing process too xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the color! Nah, it's not cheating!! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your skein is beautiful! I love the color progression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely think it counts as an FO - I personally love the colorway and would love to see your resulting kerchief :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks stunning, great name for it as well, can't wait to see how it knits up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go for it. But I would suggest that you play with the color lengths. When making a shawl, the numbers increase as you knit. This means the first color will reveal a large band of color, with the subsequent colors yielding smaller bands of color. You can see the effect of this on my Citron. It's not a must do, but it would appeal to this OCD person. Yes, all my ducks must be in a row, i's dotted and t's crossed! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the name of the colorway - it's perfect! I'm curious to see how it knits up. I think the shawl is a great pattern choice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hoping to see Super 8 this weekend. The movie is set just about 15 miles from where I live (Lillian is a fictional town of course). Does anyone else knit at the movies?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great colors! How do you even go about dying something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE that colorway, nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are some gorgeous colors and I bet it'll knit up wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah, welcome! Thanks for participating. Be sure to check out WIPW on Wednesday as well.

    Unconventional Us, thanks! If all goes well and it looks good, I'm thinking of making this a new line for Candy Skein with several other "fruit".

    Tink, thank you!

    WonderWhyGal, good idea! Unfortunately, since I split the yarn evenly into 3rds, I'd have to pretty much knit the whole thing to see each color change.

    Clare, thank you! Unfortunately, I didn't take pics of the dyeing process since it was all just experimenting. Maybe next time!

    Witchyknits4ewe, thank you! Since I dye yarn almost every day, it kind of felt like cheating. ;)

    Karen, thanks!

    Cris, thank you! I'll be sharing the kerchief on WIPWs.

    pinkundine, thanks. I was trying to figure out what it looked like and what progressed in food. LOL

    Chris, thanks for the tips!

    Dayna, thanks for joining us and thanks for the nice comment!

    Jeanne, awesome you're seeing it this weekend, too! I've never tried knitting at the movies, but I think it'd be too dark for me. I also get really into the movies, and I don't get to go very often, so I don't. THOUGH, I do while waiting for it to start!

    Dutch Hollow, thanks! It was kind of a long process! I'll email you the details.

    April, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love long color changes and you did a great job! I've seen some amazing Revontuli shawls made with exactly this type of long color change yarns (but in cotton). I'll look forward to seeing whatever you work up with this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful yarn! We saw Super 8 last weekend and while it's not the best movie ever, I thought it was worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Voie de Vie, thank you! I'll have to check out the Revontuli shawls on Ravelry to see some of them! Thanks for the suggestion.

    Ness, thank you! That's what I figured with the movie, kind of a fun summer flick that pays homage to the old 80's monster/alien movies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it turned out great! I can't wait to see how it knits up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think that yarn is 100% a winner! It's beautiful!!!

    I'm hoping to get to the fair this year -- it's been a long time since we got to!!
    I don't know if they're doing this in San Diego but I think I saw at the OC fair they're deep frying Kool Aid. The curiosity is morbid. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. looking foward to see how it knits up. Nice job.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You continue to impress me with how much you've taught yourself about dyeing and how beautifully you are putting it all to work. That yarn is GORGEOUS! The color changes are perfect for a shawl like Brass & Steam - go Tami go!

    ReplyDelete
  24. the yarn looks so lovely! it'll be awesome to see the other colors combinations you come up with. I've been dreaming of a red to orange to yellow myself.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pretty, pretty, I love it!! I would definitely use it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think it's lovely. I love yarns that have color changes in the same color family.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it! Can't wait to see the scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The colors are gorgeous and the name is perfect! And that pattern will show it off perfectly too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, gorgeous skein! Sounds like a great idea. Looking forward to seeing how it knits up :)

    ReplyDelete