Thursday, June 2, 2011

Yarn Diet '11- The End is Finally Here!

Can you believe it's already June 1st!!?? That's right, the yarn diet is officially over, unless you purchased more than your 5 allowed shopping trips. I didn't want to WASTE any of my purchases, so I actually bought a few skeins of yarn in the last few weeks just to hit my final 5th purchase without going over. To be honest, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be and thought it would be great to do it every year from January 1-June 1! Who's with me!?

Even though we're finished, and can buy yarn whenever we please, I think it was a good test. From my numbers, as you will see, my stash didn't go down very much, and in fact grew. The crazy thing? I think the diet made it grow a lot less than it would have if I hadn't had it. It showed me that I didn't need to buy yarn every time I got the itch. I could work from my stash. Because of this, I will continue in a sense. I'm now not going to feel guilty each time I make a yarn purchase, but I think I'm going to keep track for the most part. I may forget a skein or two to add to the number, but, as long as I stay close to what's there. I also plan to keep track of how many skeins I've used in the year. I think this will be interesting, considering I'm also keeping track of how many FOs I've finished. This will be my first year doing so, and can't wait to see the results come December.

Here are my final stats:

Skeins used in the month of May: 3 (sad, right? I have an excuse. Not only did I open Candy Skein in the month of May, I also made two socks from two different yarns.)
Total skein count left: 275 (counting all yarn bought during yarn diet)
Total FOs completed in May: 1 (the hair kerchief, but I finished TWO SOCKS, just not a pair. Can I count those?)
Total yarn purchases in March and April: 1
Total purchase remaining: 0 (I have purchases to share with you, but that will be in a separate post as I haven't photographed them. I also need help picking the lovely pattern for one of them).



Speaking of December, can you believe that we have less than six months until the holidays?? Take a DEEP breath. If you want to plan several projects out for the holidays or otherwise, hop on over to the Blog-a-Long group on Ravelry. They will be knitting/crocheting through a year of patterns (either from your queue or even work your way through a whole book!) It's a great way to get a bunch of projects done and plan for the yarn purchases in the next few months to a year! I hope to join, but have yet to pick my plan of attack.

Also, check out the interview I did with Charlotte over at An Accidental Knitter this week! I had a great time doing the interview and the questions really made me think!

If you have a final Yarn Diet post, please post it below!



3 comments:

  1. Good for you! I swear there are times I 'comfort-purchase' yarn. No idea why. A little abstinence makes the stash that much sweeter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like it's sort of gotten rid of my MORE MORE MORE YARN urge! Hopefully it will last!

    I think I only made 1 purchase during the diet but it was a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back and I was so excited to link up this week with you!

    ReplyDelete